Two jihadists “ready to attack” in Spain arrested in Ceuta
Detentions are consequence of operation that broke up cell in January, authorities say
Two suspected jihadists who authorities said were “ready to carry out attacks” in Spain were arrested in the Spanish exclave of Ceuta early Tuesday morning.
In a statement, the Interior Ministry said the arrests made by National Police formed part of the same operation carried out on January 24 when four members of the same Islamist cell were detained.
“They formed part of a cell fully ready and willing to carry out attacks on national territory,” the ministry said.
The raid took place at around 4am and searches were conducted in various homes. The investigation is being carried out by the High Court.
On Saturday, police in Barcelona arrested a Moroccan woman with Spanish residency who reportedly tried to join the Islamic State of Iran and Syria (ISIS), after she got off a plane coming from Turkey.
Spanish authorities have stepped up their investigations into jihadists operating in the country. Last year 40 alleged jihadists were arrested in Spain.
January's raid was the first to take place in 2015. Four people – Farid Mohammed Al Lal, his brother Mohammed, Anwar Ali Amzal, and his brother Rodouan – were arrested on suspicion of planning to carry out attacks in Spain. All are Spanish nationals of Moroccan origin.
Three of the men were sent to prison facing terrorism and weapons charges while Rodouan was released with tight restrictions after a judge determined he was not mentally fit, according to judicial sources.