Three more individuals have been arrested in Pamplona on charges of sexual misconduct during the Sanfermines fiestas, bringing the total arrests so far to 15.
According to local authorities, 80% of all reported cases have led to arrests.
Pamplona authorities have been keen to show an image of zero tolerance for sexual misconduct at the 2016 Sanfermines
The same sources said there were four reports of sexual assault, one attempted assault, and 10 complaints over groping. City officials said that in these latter cases there was no violence or intimidation involved.
But there have already been four alleged rapes at the world-famous Running of the Bulls fiesta, which began on July 6 and ends on July 14.
Pamplona authorities have been keen to show an image of zero tolerance for sexual misconduct at the 2016 Sanfermines, following reports of aggressions in previous years. Local residents have held street protests after this year’s rape reports.
According to Aritz Romeo, Pamplona’s public safety councilor, Pamplona City Hall and women’s groups have succeeded in raising awareness and encouraging women to report sexual harassment and assault.
“I don’t think that anything different is happening in Pamplona that isn’t happening in other cities where there are fiestas, we have just taken measures to deal with it and there are 3,400 efficient police officers to catch wrongdoers,” he said earlier this week.
English version by Susana Urra.