Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis join forces to condemn ex-nanny: ‘Her campaign has reached its unfortunate apex’

The two have issued a joint statement criticizing the former employee for her ‘scurrilous accusations’ over their breakup

Jason Sudeikis and Olivia Wilde in 2019.
Jason Sudeikis and Olivia Wilde in 2019.Michael Tran (Michael Tran/Sipa USA / Cordon Press)

Actors Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis have joined forces to condemn their former nanny, who revealed details of their breakup to the British tabloid Daily Mail.

“As parents, it is incredibly upsetting to learn that a former nanny of our two young children would choose to make such false and scurrilous accusations about us publicly,” the former couple said in a statement sent to the US press. “Her now 18-month-long campaign of harassing us, as well as loved ones, close friends and colleagues, has reached its unfortunate apex.”

“We will continue to focus on raising and protecting our children with the sincere hope that she will now choose to leave our family alone,” the statement concluded.

Sudeikis and Wilde met in 2011 and have two children together, eight-year-old Otis and five-year-old Daisy. At the end of 2020, the couple announced that they were separating after a nine-year relationship.

It was rumored that the breakup was due to Wilde’s new relationship with pop star Harry Styles, who she met on the set of her film Don’t Worry Darling. But the actress and director denied the allegations, telling Vanity Fair:Our relationship was over long before I met Harry.”

Now, the former couple’s nanny, who has not been identified, has put the couple’s breakup back in the spotlight. In the interview with The Daily Mail, the nanny says that Wilde left Sudeikis for the former One Direction star. According to the nanny, Sudeikis uncovered the details of Wilde’s relationship with Styles by reading old messages between the two on the actress’s Apple Watch.

(l-r) Olivia Wilde, Sydney Chandler and Harry Styles at the premiere of 'Don't Worry Darling.'
(l-r) Olivia Wilde, Sydney Chandler and Harry Styles at the premiere of 'Don't Worry Darling.'STEPHANE CARDINALE (Corbis via Getty Images)

“On the Monday morning November 9, when I came back from a weekend off, he [Sudeikis] was crying a lot, crying and crying. I didn’t know what had happened at all,” the nanny said. “After I’d got the kids ready, Jason came upstairs and was having some coffee. He was crying and a mess, saying, ‘she left us. She left us!”

The woman said that the Ted Lasso star was so distressed he threw himself on top of Wilde’s car to prevent her from going to see Styles. She added that after this incident, Sudeikis forbade them from listening to Styles’ music at home. “I feel for Jason because he really wanted to make things work, he tried. He left everything to go to therapy and to try harder to do better and it didn’t work out,” she said.

Since announcing the breakup, Both Sudeikis and Wilde have maintained that it was an amicable separation. But recent events would suggest otherwise. In April 2022, while presenting Don’t Worry Baby at a ticketed industry event, Wilde was approached on stage by a woman who handed her an envelope. The actress opened it on the spot, joking that perhaps it was a script. After glancing at the contents, she kept going on with her presentation without skipping a beat.

It was soon revealed that the actress had been given legal documents regarding her children’s custody, sent by Sudeikis’s lawyers. Wilde was furious at Sudeikis, but he denied having any prior knowledge of his attorney’s plans. The incident caused a major scandal, and it appeared that the differences between the two were irreconcilable. However, now, after two years of separation, it seems they have found some common ground.


More information

Recomendaciones EL PAÍS
Recomendaciones EL PAÍS